Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Perception of motherhood

-Socrates

As I creep the blogging world often it seems to be a trend of look how awesome my life is, combined with opinionated mothers, and the occassional funny post. 
I am surely guilty of all of these but, 
As I sit and read and gaze at pictures of moms with perfect hair, and beautiful make up, and a spotless kitchen in the background, and being able to work full time, but stay at home and still find time to blog and entertain their kids... I think, am I a bad mother because I can't do these things? I can hardly keep up with unloading the dish washer without all the bowls ending up on the floor and the knives being thrown at my face by an 18 month old who is just trying to help. 
Or the multiply family pictures people are able to afford, and the numerous baby carriers, strollers, new shoes, DIY projects... I can't keep up with this perception of what motherhood or should I say parenthood is. 
Sloanes favorite outfits are the ones that are handed down to use from our good friends. They are worn in, and comfy, her favorite toy? Isn't a toy, but running around the gym with mom and dad, and our monthly photo shoots I'd love to afford, happen on my iPhone daily. 
Our living room is never company ready, and I drop Sloane off at daycare in my yoga pants, but I don't even do yoga. 
I will tell you, that Sloane gets endless amounts of love, attention and exercise. She is showered with praise. How do I brag and depict this on the internet? By showing off her extremely fashionable outfits that my mom shouldn't have bought her? Will that show how awesome of a mom I am? 
Kids will never remember the 100$ jacket you bought them when they were 2, in fact, they will probably say " mom why did you put me in that!" 
Sometimes I need to think about what really is the reality of motherhood, its a messy, unorganized way of loving your child. This is what being a mom is to me. 
We do NOT have it all together, but together we have it all.
Apple of our eye. 

1 comment:

  1. Much of what you see on the Internet is only what people choose to share. And while that's okay, you just can't compare. What you can't see is the three inches of dust and old sippy cups and forgotten-about toys littered underneath the couch, just out of the view on Instagram ;) We all have those couches and those corners and that dining room table which we haven't seen in months because there's so much random crap piled on top. The most important things your kids need are your love and attention and yours will have much more of both than they'll EVER need. You got this ;) XO

    ReplyDelete

 
Designed By Poppy Pixel Designs